day 8 - march 23, 2009


Scott and Tori made us a traditional Scottish fry up for breakfast. "Fry up" means LOTS OF MEAT.
"I used to be a vegetarian!"

I ate almost all of it, I even tried the black pudding and I have to admit--it was pretty delicious. Let's not talk about what's in it, though. Deal?

Scott was nice enough to give us the whirlwind tour of Dumfries and Galloway. We drove to Dunscore, where Tori's aunt and uncle have a farm. Her cousin was in and he let us explore the grounds and buildings. There were chickens:
And seldom used rooms and things:
I love exploring old places.
We climbed the hill opposite the farm, in the sheep paddock, and got an amazing view of the village of Dunscore.
The sheep kept running away because we had a dog with us. But she was more interested in kp.
It was windy.We checked out the Dunscore Kirk (church) which had a graveyard with some very old gravestones.
We left Dunscore and continued our driving tour of the area.
Dumlanrig Castle and Tori (babe).
Morton Castle. This castle was just open for anyone to go in and take a look. There were info plaques, but no one charging a handful of pounds for entry. Amazing.

If you know kp, you know she likes taking timed photos, as in setting up the camera, hitting the timer and running into the shot. She set one up in Morton Castle and tried to run into the shot, but didn't quite make it in time. So she asked me to do the pushing of the button and running into position. Piece of cake, I thought. I pushed the button and wasn't sure if it was working but kp yelled "IT'S GOING IT'S GOING!! RUN RUN RUN!!" So, I ran. Fast. Over uneven ground. And twisted my ankle. It made a gross grinding sort of crunch and pain shot up my calf and I limped the last few steps to kp. I didn't quite make it into position, but the camera did its job without fail.
lv: "kp, I think I hurt myself!"
kp: "GET IN THE SHOT GET IN THE SH--is this a trick?"
Driving around the Scottish countryside and seeing things from the car, pointed out to us by a local, was one of my favourite parts of the whole trip.

We had dinner in Dumfries then went for drinks at the Globe, which was Robbie Burns' "howff" (haunt, or local watering hole, sort of).
There was no one else in the bar, so we sat in the little snug that had Burns paraphernalia on all the walls. The bar lady chatted to us and when she found out that we were visiting she offered to take us on a tour of the upstairs, which is like a living Burns museum.
We saw the room he stayed in, where he ate and drank and we even got to sit in his chair.
In his room, she recited one of his poems to us and it blew us all away.

There is something about the Scottish attitude toward history that I really love. It's like history lives with them rather than behind them. Like it walks beside them as they go about their business, it informs their daily life and it's always there, intertwined in the now. It's a comfort rather than a burden. I admire it.

We had some good, authentic Scottish whisky before leaving the Globe and heading back to the house. A perfect end to a very Scottish day.


1 comment:

  1. ohh, black pudding. it was my favorite when i was a kid, and then when i was about 14 and thought about asking what it was... i have eaten it since. and it was still good.

    ReplyDelete