day 9 - march 24, 2009

This was a transition day, between Scotland and England. This day was the first day that we realised our trip was coming to a close. This day was a grumpy day. We weren't ready to leave Tori's company and her (and Scott and Jade's) hospitality. (THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!) Nor were we ready to leave Scotland. But when you've got a flight to catch, you don't have much choice.

Scott drove us to catch the bus to Glasgow. We said some hurried goodbyes and got on the bus just in time. We pulled away from Dumfries and kp promptly fell asleep.
Finally! My revenge!
I also have a video of this which I'll try to upload later.

The day was grey and cold and rainy so my first impression of Glasgow was pretty much grey, cold and rainy.
We spent most of the day shoe shopping, and wandering around Primark deciding which ridiculously cheap things to purchase. We came in out of the rain and ate a hot meal, then it was time to head back to the bus station to grab our packs and head to the airport.
kp had a crush on the airport shuttle because it matched her outfit.

The flight to London was fast and easy--I fell asleep so it felt like we were there in no time.
I shouldn't even bother. She's just better at catching me in my countless lowest points. It's a real skill. Asshole.

We got into London and got on the Gatwick Express. BIG MISTAKE. It cost us £33! EACH! (Actually, I can't remember if it was £33 each, but let's say it was to illustrate my point that London was ripping us a new one from the get go.) We got onto the tube and then off again and starting walking in the exact wrong direction from our hostel. RIP. Plus, it was raining. RIP. Finally, we got turned around and found our hostel. By this time we were fairly settled into our grumpy moods. The hostel was fairly unwelcoming, and I had to buy a small towel that cost me £3.50. I lost my towel after the Loch Ness swim and had hired towels at hostels in Scotland for 20p. Nice, good sized towels. And then here I was in London buying a towel that would barely cover my ass. RIP. The size of the grumpy mood only increased when we got to our room and found the other bunks occupied by twittering post-teen girls who were intently discussing their outfit choices for the next day. For a long time. Like, entirely too long. Like, in whispers even after they turned the lights out. Kp & I escaped to the showers to wash away the grump, but when my shoes got wet despite my best efforts at keeping them dry, I decided to accept that London was giving us the shaft. (Now, looking back on it, I see that it wasn't London so much as it was ourselves just being grumpy, but at the time I was not pleased with our location. Plus, I missed Scotland.) We went to bed in our little bunks hoping that the next day would bring exciting fun in jolly old England.

At least the linen was clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment